If your nails look unhealthy, you’re undergoing a negative health situation. However, don’t worry about it, it is a popular issue faced by many people. Nails are formed by laminated layers which are called keratin. Those healthy nails are united in color, smooth and consistent as well as no spots, pits, grooves or discoloration.
On the contrary, weak nails are more prone to be broken and they might not develop properly. They indicate a sign of yellowing or discoloration. Usually, weak nails are owing to improper care or negligence. They can be weak when they drain out and turn brittle. Long term exposure to chemicals and nail polish or detergent can significantly weaken your nails.
If you want to obtain healthier nails then a proper nail care regimen, dietary changes and several home remedies can help you.
Green tea can be applied to make your nails stronger and healthier. Its antioxidant properties can prevent brittle nails and strengthen them as well. Moreover, it can treat yellow discoloring in your nails too.
- Boil a glass of green tea and let it cool down to room temperature
- Dip your nails in the solution for about 15 minutes for twice a week
- Alternatively, prepare a solution of green tea, salt and some wheat germ oil
- Soak your nails in the solution for 5–7 minutes
- Use a dry cloth to dry the nails
- Repeat the process twice a week
- Alternatively, you can mix some green tea essential oil with some aloe vera gel or coconut oil to massage your nails once or twice a week.
This is an effective and brilliant remedy to treat unhealthy nails. The olive oil can help you moisturize your nails, repair damage as well as soften cuticles and nails.
- Use microwave to heat up the olive oil and apply on your nails
- Cover the top as well as the underside of your nails
- Let it sit for 15 minutes before rinsing it thoroughly with water
- Repeat the process for 2–3 times a day
- Alternatively, mix some warm olive essential oil with some lemon juice
- Use a cotton swab to apply the mixture on your nails
- Let it dry and put on soft or cotton gloves
- Repeat the process before going to sleep
- Rinse it off in the next morning with warm water
Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is packed with different nutrients like potassium, magnesium, iron and calcium that can support nail health. Moreover, its acidic nature can significantly prevent nail fungus.
- Mix some raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and water
- Dip your nail in the solution for 5–10 minutes, once on a daily basis for several weeks
- Alternatively, mix some raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar with some water and consume the solution
Flaxseeds can significantly strengthen your nails. The micronutrients found in flaxseeds like vitamin B, potassium, magnesium, lecithin, protein and zinc are required for nail health. Plus, they are packed with omega-3 fatty acids which is necessary for a healthy nail.
- Apply some flaxseed oil on your nails and give them a massage for several minutes before going to sleep
- After that, wear gloves to keep the moisture
- Moreover, add flaxseed in your daily diet too
Tea tree oil
This amazing essential oil is another effective remedy that can strengthen your nails. Moreover, its antiseptic and antibacterial properties can block and inhibit fungal infection associated with the weak nails or brittle nails. Plus, it can help to get rid of discolored and yellow nails.
- Dilute some tea tree oil in a cup of lukewarm water
- Dip your nails in the mixture for about 3–5 minutes for several times a week
- Another choice is to mix some vitamin E, jojoba oil and some tea tree oil together
- Apply the mixture on the nails then give them a massage
- Let it dry on its own before rinsing off with water
- Repeat this process once a week
Vitamin E oil
This incredible essential oil is healthy and beneficial for your nails. It can help to strengthen your nails and improve your overall nail health. Its moisturizing properties can retain your nails hydrated.
- Extract vitamin E oil from the capsules
- Apply the solution on nails and give them a massage for several minutes
- Repeat the process before going to sleep for several weeks